Monday, June 23, 2008

Learning New Skills

I have always had a desire to learn new skills. Each year I make lists of items that I want to know more about and talents that I want to develop. Sometimes I am fascinated by my studies, and other times I just learn that that particular thing isn’t as interesting as I thought. (The summer that I decided to learn to repair antique watches is an example of something that wasn’t for me.)

Some of my favorite studies in the 80’s were the watercolor workshops I attended. Living in an area without a large library, I requested watercolor books through the lending libraries.

For several summers in the 90’s, Jim and I would travel to Denver University where he would take classes and I would sketch the buildings and flowers on the campus.

Developing technology skills is an area in which I have been interested for many years and will always be a major interest. Not only can I communicate, share, and learn with others around the world; but technology allows me to learn in ways that were not available a few years ago.

I used digital photography and web design in the classroom for years to develop activities and lessons. Working with learning disabled students, I felt a need to create new methods to help them learn--or, present old methods in a new way. Digital photography is one tool that was used often.

Fine art photography and technology go hand-in-hand. What a wonderful transition after all of these years of experience with low resolution digital photography and web design. New camera, high resolution pictures, and large format printer-- I am ready to go!

No comments: