Monday, June 30, 2008

CAL Community Exhibits Program & The Lighthouse

I am a part of the Columbia Art League’s Community Exhibits Program. It provides artwork to all types of public and private business locations. Artists exhibit their artwork at businesses throughout the community. Artists rotate their work every three months among the participating businesses. I enjoy being a part of this program because I am able to reach people that otherwise might not see my work.

Today, I switched my pictures from the Columbia Mall to Waddell & Reed at 4200 East Southampton Drive. This is the first time for them to participate in the program, and they were all very excited to see what I brought. My pictures will be there for three months.

They requested four pictures to be hung, so I brought three of my most popular ones and one newer picture. The newer picture is of Presque Isle Lighthouse in Erie, PA.

Jim and I were traveling along the Great Lakes on our way home from visiting friends in New Hampshire. I had found this lighthouse listed on the map, but once we got there we couldn’t find it. It was a cold windy fall day and the sand along the lake shore was blowing into our eyes and against our skin. (As we walked along, I picked up several flat smooth stones to remember the day and kept sticking them in Jim’s pockets.) We were about to give up on finding it and discovered we were right in front of it. It was over-grown with trees and is now a private home. We had walked by it twice.

3 comments:

Barri L. Bumgarner said...

Hey, I think I know someone who works at Waddell & Reed...I'll let them know you're going to be the next Annie Leibovitz!!

Joe Barone said...

This is a really nice blog. I've bookmarked it and put it on my "blog" tab to return to. I especially enjoyed the description of how you do your art. --Joe Barone.

L S Fisher said...

Great blog, Jan! Your photography is phenomenal. Linda